The Distance Between Us

The Distance Between Us - Kasie West This was one of my highly anticipated summer reads. I am a sucker for contemporaries where it's an opposites attract situation. It was a great romance, but more of it was really about her bridging the distance between her and her mother that seems to be getting bigger each day. The title of the book is perfect and has more than one meaning. I loved that. I am always happy when family is a big part of a book and though Caymen only has her mom, she is a huge part of the story. No absentee parent here! I thought that the characters were fabulous and the story was great!!Caymen lives above the doll store that her mom owns. They are poor and barely getting by. She's a smart girl and very responsible for her age. She takes a lot of the responsibility of the store upon herself and it's kind of sad that she isn't enjoying her teenage years. When she meets Xander, she tries to resist his charms. It's been drilled into her head that rich people will only hurt her. No matter how many times she tries to push Xander away, her keeps coming back, and she likes it. She starts to let her walls down and I enjoyed seeing her realize that things aren't as black and white as her mom makes things seem. She really grows up a lot through this book. I liked how she started out, and I really loved who she became.Xander seems like the typical rich boy, but he's far from it. Yes, he's rich and has pretty much everything he could want, but he's not a snob like some of his friends. He doesn't look down on people who aren't as well off as he is. He was really sweet, and I loved how he didn't back down when Caymen kept pushing him away. He would loyally show up in the morning with a hot chocolate (that he's taken on sip from) for her and walk her to school. He didn't care if she had money or any of that. He was able to see who she really was. He find out they really have a lot in common for coming from two different sides of the money scale. He melted my heart.The romance was a slow, gradual thing. I loved it!! Caymen wants nothing to do with him at first and then she starts to fall into a routine with him. That leads to "career days" where they each take turns trying to do something for the other to see what their future might hold. Neither of them want to be in their family business. They spend a lot of time together and get to know each other. They formed a good friendship before it turned romantic. It was refreshing to see a steady building relationship for a change. Of course they aren't without their issues, but they are minor, and this isn't a super angsty book.This was really fantastic and I am so glad that I read it. I loved the characters, the romance, their story, and the family dynamic. I was frustrated with Caymen's mom because she was so set on the "rich people are evil" thing, and she was also very hypocritical in some ways. I know why she did it, but it doesn't make her any less selfish. Being a mom myself I can understand, and I wouldn't have done things the way she did. Anyways, I'm getting off topic here. Overall this was a great contemporary with a sweet romance. I read this in just over three hours, and I can't even tell you the last time I read a book in one sitting. This is a must read!!*An advanced copy of this book was provided by the publisher for an honest review. I did not receive any compensation.