Hanging by a Thread

Hanging by a Thread - Sophie Littlefield I love a good mystery and I totally love this cover. It was interesting to follow Clare through the story and discover what really happened and who did it, but I figured it all out rather quickly. Not all of it, but a lot of it. I can see how the mystery is woven together though and it was a good story. I liked how there was a slight supernatural element added in too, but it was never really explained except that it goes back a few generations. (Unless I missed it somewhere, but I don't think that I did.)Clare and her mother have just moved back to the town where she grew up and she is friends with Rachel and they have started a little business together selling her designs. She has this gift where she can see people's pasts when she touches their clothes, and things get a bit crazy when she comes across a missing girls jacket. Clare doesn't want to use her gift, but she feels like she is meant to solve this mystery. On top of that she is also falling for Jack, but Rachel warns her to stay away from him. Jack seems like a nice guy though, and Rachel can't see how he can be all that bad. Clare wasn't really a character that I could connect with, but I didn't dislike her or anything. She just wasn't all that memorable. She is determined to figure out what is going on and wants to know everyone else's secrets, but doesn't want anyone to know hers. I get that her secret is a bit crazy, but she gets mad that other people are hiding things. Maybe it's just me, but I was a little annoyed with her behavior at times. There is a lot of other characters too, some of them important, others not so much. None of them very memorable. I would have liked to be able to really feel the characters or even want to sympathize with them, or like them, or even want to push them out a window or something, but sadly that was not the case. They were there, they were part of the story, but that was it. I guessed at who did what and who was a major part of certain situations rather easily. I think that this book could have been really awesome. The story was there, though maybe a bit lagging at times, but the characters really did nothing for me. I wanted to see how Clare would figure everything out. I was hoping things wouldn't just conveniently happen and make it super easy for her. Which, if by the last few chapters you haven't figured it all out you might be a little shocked, but then go "OMG how did I not figure that out sooner?" I know this does sound super negative and I really don't mean it to be. It's just that to me the characters can make or break a book for me and I thought the characters really could have been much better. I found myself bored when it was just them hanging out and wanting to skim over a lot of dialogue and just get on with the story. If you like creepy mysteries, this book will be great for you. I did like it despite not connecting with the characters.