Faking It

Faking It - Cora Carmack Cora Carmack is now a must buy author for me!! This book was fabulous!! I absolutely loved Losing It, so when I heard Cade was getting his own story I was really looking forward to it! I know that he didn't really stand out for a lot of people in the first book, but he was one of my favorites!! Besides his awesomeness in this, I loved Max!! I also loved the double meaning of this book title too! Yes, they are faking to be a couple for Max, but they are also both faking who they really are to those around them. This story was everything I was hoping it would be!Cade is still very broken from what happened in Losing it. He puts on a brave face, but he's far from home and still trying to mend his broken heart. He is barely holding on, when he meets Max. He can't help but be intrigued by her. He goes along with her plan to pretend to be her boyfriend both to help her, and because he figures why not. Then it becomes convenient for him to escape his problems as well. The thing is, he realizes that he's finally letting his heartbreak go, and realizes he needs to stop faking that he's been okay with his life recently. He needs to stop lying to his friends, and himself. Max brings out a side of him that he had hidden away. Cade is beyond sweet, and in the beginning he seems like a fragile, broken guy, but he's actually quite a bit stronger than I gave him credit for. I loved seeing that change in him.Max outwardly seems like a tough chick, oozing with confidence, who fears nothing. Really though, she is terrified of letting her parents down, not being what they want her to be, and not being able to be who she wants to be. She really is a strong person in every other situation except for when it comes to her parents. As the story goes on, we get to know why it's so hard for her to be able to just be who she wants around them. Why she has to fake she is someone she isn't just to make them happy. It's deeper than just strict and proper parents. I really felt for her and I wanted her to not have to be afraid. At first I thought she was being weak, but in the end I realized it was harder to fake, then to just come clean, at least mentally.The romance was not an easy one. I think that's why I really liked it. Yes, they are pretending to be a couple, but that's for her parents benefit. They slowly start to let their guard down around each other and be themselves. No hiding behind fake pretenses that everyone else sees. I think it really added to their growing bond. They find themselves sharing things with each other that they haven't with anyone else, and finding a comfort in one another even if it's only in fleeting moments. They both are attracted to the other, but have no clue how much of an act it is for the other. It's not easy, but it's real. I thought it moved a little quickly, but in the situation, I can see that happening. They are both raw with emotion and just what the other needs.If you enjoyed Losing It, you need this one. It was not as humorous since the characters situations are much different, but it was so good. The connection I felt to them made me full of emotion while reading it! These are some majorly broken characters that need to figure themselves out and move on from the past. There was more focus on fixing each other (mostly Max) then getting together. This one is still sexy, but more on the emotionally dark side then the humorous side. I thought it was amazing! I need more from this author now!*An advanced copy of this book was provided by the publisher for an honest review. I did not receive any compensation.