Midwinterblood - Marcus Sedgwick I have been thinking on this review for a while. I usually like to write my reviews within a few days of finishing a book, but I couldn't quite figure out my feelings about this book. I did like it, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting. The writing and how each story linked to one another was beautiful, but I always felt disconnected from it all. I also think that it was supposed to have a creepy vibe to it that I never quite felt. While the story was very intriguing I really wish I had felt more invested in it. I wanted to really love the characters and get lost in the world, but it didn't really hit the mark. I really feel like I am the underdog with not loving this book as much as everyone else. I did think that it was a great story of love and sacrifice though.This book has seven different stories in it, but it isn't an anthology. The stories are all from the same island and they involve some of the same things. Each one goes back further in time, and I thought that was very cool. Rather than going forward, we go back and we discover each life lived. Eric and Merle go through these different lives, starting from the future, 2073 and going back to the beginning where you discover the why of the reincarnation back in an unknown time.They are not the same person to each other in the different lives, though they always manage to find each other. Whether they are strangers and meet, someone who helped the other in a time of need, brother and sister, or mother and son, they always will find love for each other somehow. It really was fascinating how it all wove together.I can't really say anything else about the story without giving away details since they are each separate from each other even though they are all linked together in some way too. I thought that the way the stories were told and how it took us through them and back to the beginning was brilliant really. The atmosphere of it all was rather mystical and creepy, but it wasn't as much as I had thought it would be going into it. I did really enjoy the beauty of the writing and will be sure to check out more of Marcus Sedgwick's work. I don't think I would consider this a YA. There is no inappropriate content for YA, but it just doesn't read like most YA novels do. The main characters are adults for the most part and the story is very in depth. (Not saying that YA can't be in depth. I guess if you read it you will understand what I mean. Okay, shutting up now before I get people misinterpreting what I mean.) Overall it was an enjoyable, beautiful book about love surviving through time.