Lies Beneath - Anne Greenwood Brown It seems like Mermaid books are the thing this year. When I heard about this book I was really excited for it. I knew it was a darker story, not a fluffy Little Mermaid type book. I have to start by saying that I did like it, but I was a bit let down. Even without having any expectations either way going into it. I will say that I really enjoyed the darker side of the story, I thought it was interesting and I wanted to know more. And I liked that it was from Calder's POV since I totally love when books are in told from the male perspective. But the characters to me really fell flat. I don't know if it's just me, since I have seemed to have that problem with a lot of books recently. Calder is obviously different from his sisters. That is made pretty obvious from the start. They feed off happy human emotions since they can't make their own, but Calder has been a long time without killing a human. He thinks of it as his experiment. I didn't really like him all that much at first, he wasn't really a jerk or anything, I just didn't feel like he was a very great either. He did eventually win me over though as he started to fall for Lily. It was actually pretty sweet. He tried to fight it since he knows that they are going to kill her father, but he just can't get her out of his mind. He realizes that it is going to hurt her if she loses her father and he is having some major internal struggle. I knew what he was feeling, but unfortunately I didn't really feel the emotion. I really wanted to connect, but I didn't. Lily is a character I liked. She is very much her own person. She doesn't do things that other people want and she is very perceptive and persistent. She is really sweet, but I don't really feel like we got to know her very well. And when she finally lets Calder see that she is falling for him, she seems a little bit obsessive almost. Like I noticed with Calder, I knew the things she was feeling, but the emotion didn't jump out of the pages at me. Calder's sisters have devised a great plan to get Jason Hancock into the water so they can get their revenge on him. If they kill him on land it is not considered honorable. Calder is trying his best to get close to Lily in order to get close to Jason. There is more to the situation then we initially think though, and whether right or wrong, Calder knows that they need to carry out the plan. His sisters are truly evil. I couldn't stand Maris. I don't think we are supposed to like her. Pavati wasn't too bad, I actually didn't mind her too much. She had a few redeeming qualities about her, but she was still pretty evil too. And Tellulah, I just don't even know what to say about her. It's in their nature to be the way they are though. That is why they kill humans and absorb their happy auras. They are just miserable creatures. Even thought I didn't care much for the sisters, I wish we had gotten a little more of them in the story. I also would have liked to get to know Lily's family a little better. Especially Sophie. It seems like there is something important about her. She was just kind of a pawn in this book, but I can't help but feel there is more to her. Overall I would say this was an enjoyable book. I am interested to know where it goes from here so I will definitely continue on with the series.