In Leah's Wake - Terri Giuliano Long I don't even really know where to start. I don't really know how to say what I want without it coming out wrong. This book was totally not for me. It's not a bad book in any way at all. In fact, I think that it is a fantastic book for the people who would enjoy this type of book. I think going into this book, I was really trying to go out of my comfort zone. I like to try to read things that I normally wouldn't if they sound good. This was one of those books. The situations in the book are very real, and it is full of raw emotion. It is a very dark, deep story. The writing is good, and very descriptive. Sometimes a little excessive for my taste, but some people really enjoy that. I found myself skimming a bit over some of it because to me it felt a bit over kill at times. This book is told from multiple perspectives, a lot of them. You have Leah, her mom Zoe, her father Will, her sister Justine, and even the cop. It was a bit overwhelming to be honest. I understand that the author is trying to let us really see how everyone is dealing with the situations, but it gets to be too much. We see how the whole family slowly falls apart, and what it happening to make Leah spiral out of control. Going form the girl who has just about everything a girl her age should want, to a horrible dwindling mess. She is bringing down everyone around her as she falls. I do like how we see it from her perspective and her parents. We get to see what they are both doing wrong, what they are thinking, what they wish they had done instead. As for the other perspectives, I could have done without them.To me this book seemed to take a long time to get through. Like I said, this is just not my type of book. I don't want to sound negative. It just got really tiring for me to read about Leah messing up time after time. Her parents are a mess too. It's not even because of Leah, though her behavior sure makes things harder. Her parents already had underlying issues that the stress stirred up. I do feel bad for Justine. The poor girl is only twelve. She wants to be cool in her sisters eyes, and it's sad to watch her make some dumb choices just to get approval from Leah. Then there is the cop, which I can see why he is part of the story, but I don't think that his own POV was really needed. I think there was a lot of wasted space in this book and it could have been much shorter and still had the impact. I think so many parts of the story didn't need to be there. This book is full of heartbreak, and really tense situations. It takes you into the darkest parts of relationships and self discovery. I will give this book 3 out of 5 stars. I may not have enjoyed it that much, but it's well written and for the intended audience I believe it would be excellent.