Ashfall (Ashfall Series #1) - Mike Mullin With the world in a a panic thinking the end of the world is coming almost every week, I was interested in this book because it is possible that something like this could happen, and in fact has happened in the past. I was interested to see how it would play out in this book, and I was not disappointed. I also liked that it was a book written from the Male perspective since most of the books I have read lately aren't. The book kept up a good pace, and the story developed well. It was really believable, and that is what really kept me drawn in. Alex is a teenage boy, who is left home by himself over the weekend, after winning an argument with his mom, while his parents and little sister travel to visit his aunt and uncle. He is looking forward to playing video games and enjoying his time. All this changes when the super volcano under Yellowstone National Park erupts and destroys his home. His neighbors take him in and try to take care of him, but he leaves after a looter gets killed and he can't stand to stay. Alex is mentally strong and knows he must push on to find his family. He is also very smart and resourceful. He finds ways to use what he has to survive. Through his traveling he meets many obstacles. He finally meets Darla and her mother Mrs. Edmunds, when he is on the verge of death. After unfortunate events he and Darla set off together, and they prove to be a good team. I liked how their relationship developed in a realistic way. It was a very progressive thing, and they really went about things the right way, even with the craziness of the ashfall and not knowing whether they will survive. It was nice to have the romance building there, but be in the backround of an amazing story. I was glad that the love story didn't take over, but added to it. What I enjoyed the most about this book was how believable the whole thing was. I found myself really thinking about what I would do if something like this happened. I don't think I would have been able to handle half of the stuff that they go through. You really get to see how much the characters grow and change through it. The detail and scariness of all of it was amazing. It was an action packed thriller that kept me turning pages to the very end. It gets 5 out of 5 stars from me.