The Summer I Became a Nerd

The Summer I Became a Nerd - Leah Rae Miller *Actual rating 4.5 starsWhen I first read the synopsis for this, I was so excited for it!! We all know how judgmental kids are in school so I thought it was cute that she has her inner nerd that she lets out when she thinks no one knows. This book was so fun and great to read, and I loved the romance. It was seriously so cute and sweet. Another thing was how present the parents were. I love when parents are a big part in YA books!Maddie didn't start off as a very likeable character to me at all, but by the end I totally loved her. She starts off, obviously hiding her love for comic books and all things "nerdy" and is pretty oblivious to things going on around her. How other people feel, what others are dealing with. How petty her need to keep up her appearance as the perfect, popular girl really is. She has worked to mold herself into the perfect high school girl. Cheerleader, pretty, dating the quarterback (even if they don't really like each other and it's all for show), and hangs out with all the right people. Only she thinks that none of them would like her if they knew she loved comic books and video games. She had an embarrassing situation years ago, and refuses to ever let herself be laughed at again. She makes stupid decisions and mistakes, but that is what makes her so real. When she starts talking to, and then hanging out with Logan, I loved seeing the change in her and how much she developed. That was the Maddie that I came to love by the end. The one that Logan was able to bring out.Logan was awesome from the first moment he was introduced in the book. He was sweet, charming, geeky, and funny. I loved getting to know him. My favorite thing about him was, what you see is what you get. He lays it all out there. Well, except one thing, which is his true identity on his radio show, but I thought that was so fun, and loved that people loved him so much. If they had known it was really him at first, I don't know that they would have. It kind of reminded me a bit of the Disney Channel Movie Radio Rebel. (which was a cute movie) Anyways, he really brings out the good side of Maddie, even when she resists it. He won't let her be embarrassed or ashamed of who she really is. He is also a super awesome older brother. He dotes on his little sister and what is more swoon worthy than that right?I also loved how family was so present in this. Logan's mom especially, but Maddie's parents were a big part too. It wasn't just in passing, or they were mentioned here and there. They were part of things. You got to see the family dynamics. It was really important to the story to have the parents be very much a part of it and I am so glad that they were. Logan's mom was among my favorite characters in this book.If you are looking for a fun, romantic, and entertaining book, this is one you have to pick up. It is very realistic to the way high school is, how kids can be very judgmental, and how the people you care about will be there for you and help you through. I thought that the situations were captured very well, and nothing seemed too easy or convenient. This book was fantastic and I loved it! *copy provided by the publisher for honest review.