Shift (The Protector, #2)

Shift - M.R. Merrick To say this book is incredibly amazing is an understatement. This book was so absolutely beyond amazing, that there are no words to describe it! I have made a few attempts at this review actually, and the first few were just incoherent babbling about my love for it. So now I will do a composed review that you can understand. From the first page it is intense, heart pumping action. It was like an adrenaline rush that I couldn't come down from. M.R. Merrick takes us back into Chase's world full force, and it blew me away! The fantasy is phenomenal! The story, the relationships, and the secrets and lies are all packaged into the most intense thrill ride you can imagine. Just when it starts to slow down enough for you to catch your breath, the action and excitement ramps right back up!Chase is hurting. He has just lost his mother, and his home. He is living with people he barely knows. He is still trying to figure out why he is the protector and what it means, all the while still fighting for his life, and the lives of those he cares about. He is trying to learn to control his magic, and now it is getting stronger. He knows that the ring is the key to something and he must guard it , but with everyone wanting to get their hands on it, especially Riley, it's not proving to be an easy task. Chase had major character growth in Exiled, and I think he had much more in this book. He is so broken and you really feel what he is feeling.Rayna has her own struggles going on. She has a demon inside of her trying to find it's way out. Literally. She is trying to fight it with all that she has, but in the end everyone fears it will kill her. I love Rayna's character because she is so strong and brave. She is very defiant and stands her ground. With everything she is dealing with she still is concerned about Chase, and will do anything she can to help him.In Shift, we discover more about the characters we already know, and meet some new ones. The writing is so fantastic that you feel that you truly are getting to know each and every person. I could really feel the emotions of the main characters, and I felt like I was part of their world. It was like I was inside the book with them, part of the story. I can't really write much more for fear of giving anything away to those who have not read Exiled yet. Reading Shift felt like a great roller coaster. Fast, a lot of big drops and twists, and barely enough time to catch my breath. It was amazing from the first page to the last, and I didn't want it to end. I am now going to be a mess and full of anticipation until the next book comes out! M.R Merrick has done it again! Fantastic book. It is a must read!! I would give it way more than 5 stars if I could!!!