Fairy Metal Thunder (Songs of Magic, #1)

Fairy Metal Thunder (Songs of Magic, #1) - J.L. Bryan I had this book on my TBR list for a while, I even bought the first book for my nook last year and still never got around to it. Then a few awesome blogs decided to get together and host a read-along for it and I knew it was the perfect time to fit this in. I am so glad that I did. This was a fun and entertaining book. I loved the characters, I loved the idea of the fairy instruments and that they had magical powers even in the human world. I also enjoyed the POV switches so you really get a feel of what is going on in both the fairy realm and in the man-world. Jason is a character that was really great to get to know. He is just a normal teenage boy who has a secret crush, likes to play music in a band, and sucks at having a job. There is nothing special about him and his personality doesn't stand out. I think that's what was so likable about him. He was just your average teenage boy. Of course then he chases a goblin into the fairy realms and ends up stealing fairy instruments. I don't really get why he does it to be honest. In general he seems like a good kid, so it is a little odd that he would just steal them. I know that he is interested in the power they have and what it can mean for the band, but it doesn't seem right that he would steal. I'm going to just convince myself that it was the magic compelling him to do it. Besides that, I do like that he finally gets the courage to tell Erin how he feels about her. Aoide is one of the members of the band in the fairy realm that Jason stole the instruments from and she is trying to find them. It is a very big no no for anything from the fairy realm to be in the man-world so she risks being punished (most likely by death) if she cannot recover the instruments. We don't really get to know her a lot, but we get to be in her POV some of the time. I am looking forward to getting to know her better though. I really enjoyed most of the secondary characters in this book. All the band members, Mitch, Dred, and Erin. They each had their important roles in the story. I thought that the way they interacted with each other was very believable. They are really just typical teenagers who have now been given the power or these magical instruments. It's fun to see how it affects them. I liked that Dred was really hesitant about wanting to have anything to do with them. This was a very quick and fun book. We get just enough to hook us and leave us wanting more. The plot, characters, and amount of information we get was great. There is no info overload, but we aren't left confused at things. I am looking forward to continuing this series. I want to know what will happen with Erin and Jason, I want to know his sister better, and I want to know what crazy creatures the fairy realm is going to attack with next!!