Transcendence

Transcendence - C.J. Omololu I think the idea of reincarnation is fascinating, so when I read the synopsis for this book I was really excited about it. I was a bit disappointed that it was pretty slow moving, but it was still interesting and was able to keep my attention. It took a little while to really get into it and at first the visions confused me until I understood what was going on. Once I discovered what was going on, the visions became more and more interesting to me and I wanted to figure things out as much as Cole does. Cole is an okay character to me. I didn't love her or feel much of a character connection with her, but I still enjoyed getting to know her and go through all of the events that happen in the book. She is a sixteen year old cello prodigy. She has always been good at it and her mom is a bit obsessive about her future as a cello player. Her visions start when she is in London with her father and sister. She thinks that she might be going crazy. She meets Griffon in London, but she can't stop thinking about him when she returns to home to California. Turns out he lives pretty close and they have a connection. Poor girl has a hard time figuring out who she can trust and if the things going on are real or not. I find it a little odd how all of the sudden she goes from being perfect daughter to quite a rebel so quickly, but I suppose love makes you do some pretty crazy things. Griffon was a character I instantly liked. Right off, he was sweet, charming, and funny. He was very friendly, but it was also obvious that there was something different about him. Of course we find out that he not only knows what is going on with Cole, but he has this same ability if that's what you want to call it. He has actually known he is an Akhet for a long time, so he wants to help her. After a little while he is a bit hot and cold or at least that is how it seems. He goes from wanting to be around her constantly, to not talking to her, texting, or anything for days and days. I knew something was going on with him, but I will be honest he was a mystery to me for the most part. This book starts off slow and we start to slowly learn more and more along with Cole. I thought that the idea of her starting to remember past lives was cool and I wanted to know how each different one tied in with what was going on in the story. There are a few characters who we don't know if we can trust them or not, and I was pleasantly surprised that I did have a hard time figuring some things out. If you like books about reincarnation, I think this is an enjoyable book. I still had a few lingering questions after finishing this book, but overall it was enjoyable.