Pure (Pure #1)

Pure  - Julianna Baggott As a dystopian lover I was really excited to read this book. It's a dytopian that takes place post-apocalypse. This book is fabulously written. It's intense, dark, and a bit unsettling. The descriptiveness of the environment and characters is amazing. Just think, humans and animals that are fused with items that they were near when the detonation happened. People with glass, metal, plastic, and other things embedded in their skin. Others with living animals attached to them, or other people fused on their backs, arms, or legs. Totally creepy and disturbing right? There are also creatures that live out in the dirt and rocks. They are vicious and mean. Then there are the Pures who were safely in the Dome when the detonation happened and they are untouched and living in a controlled environment, pretty oblivious to what is really going on with the survivors outside the Dome. They are told that outside the Dome the "wretches" are violent. They are like two separate worlds, neither really knows the truth about the other. I will admit that I had a little bit of a hard time getting into it initially, but after a few chapters I couldn't stop reading! The story goes back and forth from Pressia, and Partridge at first. Pressia being a survivor on the outside, and Partridge a Pure. I really liked both characters a lot. Partridge is a very determined and strong character, especially since he has been living relatively cushy and nice inside the Dome. Pressia is tough and strong because she has to be. That is how you survive outside the Dome. Then add in a few other character PoV's, like Lydia, and El Capitan. Lydia is really just an innocent bystander, but she is really smart and eventually has a bigger part in the story. All of them have their own thing going on and we get to know the story from a lot of different angles. I don't even really now what to say about this book. It really is hard to explain. It has mystery, suspense, and is quite disturbing, but not in a bad way. We find out some interesting things about the Dome and the characters. This is a wonderful dystopian that takes it to a whole other level. It pushes further than just a government controlled world. It was a pretty long book, and it started off slow, but overall I really enjoyed it. It has some cringe worthy stuff in it, so keep in mind that this is not a light read at all. It is exactly the opposite. I really felt like I needed a pick me up after this book. It took my mind to a dark, and disturbed place that I had to shake off when I was done. This was a pretty twisted, but great post-apocalyptic dystopian that is worth reading!