Mind Games

Mind Games - 2.5 rounded down to 2 stars. (I normally round up, but this does not deserve a 3 from me)This was a book I was really excited for, which may have been why it wasn't as great as I was expecting. It's not that I didn't like it because I did, to a point, but I think I hyped it up in my mind so much that it could never live up to my expectations. I try not to do that, but we all know it happens sometimes. It goes back and forth between Fia and Annie and as much as I tried, I just couldn't really connect with either of them. Sometimes multi POV's work for me and sometimes they don't. In this case they didn't. I think a lot of the problem was not that it was in dual POV's, but each of their perspectives were also in past and present so it was a lot of back and forth. I found my head spinning at all the jumping around. I liked that we got to know how things happened, but I just couldn't fully get into the story.Fia happens to have perfect instincts. She always seems to know what she is supposed to do before she does it. She knows if there is danger lurking, if she will need to wear a certain type of clothing, which direction she has to go to find someone... you get it. Anyways, she is a pretty tough chick and she feels responsible to her blind older sister. She feels like she needs to take care of her and keep her safe. When Fia happens to not pull off one of her set tasks things spiral way out of control. It's a good thing that besides having perfect instincts, Fia is smart too. Unfortunately, she was just a character on the pages of a book for me. No connection whatsoever.To me, the premise of the story sounded great, but it wasn't executed well at all. The characters weren't well developed, then with all the back and forth the story felt like it was all over the place. When I read a book, I want to care what will happen to the characters, I want to be turning pages dying to know what will happen next. With this book I was kind puttering along hoping that something would really start to wow me. There were some good action scenes, and what I think would have been suspense had I cared about the characters, but it was not a psychological thriller like I was expecting. I will say that the ending was spectacular. If only the rest of the book had been as well done as that it would have been an enjoyable read.