The Breakaway

The Breakaway - Michelle D. Argyle I have never read a kidnapping story before so I was really intrigued by this. Beyond that, the fact that she falls for one of her captors had me beyond interested. I can tell you that this book made me feel all sorts of things. Confusion, frustration, anger, hope, and, sadness. There were so many things going on in this book. The kidnappers and what their story is, Naomi and what she is dealing with and has gone through, and her parents and how they are dealing with it. I thought it was all done fantastically and I really enjoyed this book.Naomi is quite a complex character who I really enjoyed getting to know. At first she comes across as week and someone who won't stand up for herself. At first I wanted to yell at her and tell her to stop feeling so sorry for herself and at least try, but the more you learn about her and the things from her past, the more you realize that the way she has been raised and treated makes her the way she is. She doesn't know how to stand up for herself, she doesn't even really know what it's like to have people care about her. When the kidnappers are nice to her and start acting like they care, she thinks she is actually happy there. She may be a prisoner, being held captive, but she is given attention and care she has never known in her life. It really was ripping my heart apart seeing her fall victim to the Stockholm Syndrome, but I could understand it. I wanted nothing more than for her to be happy, even if it was at the hands of her kidnappers.As you can tell by the synopsis, there is a romance in this. It seems so wrong, but while you are reading about it and how it happens, you can understand it. I am the type of person who tries to see the best in people. Obviously the whole situation is very wrong, but I was almost hoping that things would work out with Naomi and Jesse. I wanted Jesse to be the good guy I believed he was underneath. He treated her better than her boyfriend Brad ever did, he seemed to care more than her parents did, and he is really protective of her. I was still suspicious of him and his motives, but I wanted to believe he wasn't really so bad.Between Naomi's POV, her notebook entries, and the few clips crom her mothers POV we get a very well put together story and see all the sides of this crazy situation. I was falling for the kindness of her captives just as she was. She seemed happier. When she would think of her family and Brad all it brought was doubt and sadness where her captor bought her things, taught her to cook, let her be somewhat free inside the house, and were very nice to her for the most part. I knew they were just trying to keep her happy so she wouldn't want to try to escape, but just like Naomi, I started to wonder if it would be so bad for her to stay with them. This was so well written that you know what is right and wrong, but you feel right along with Naomi and wonder if the the wrong is really so bad if it makes her happy. I really enjoyed this book and will be reading more from this author.